Christopher Nolan‘s Dark Knight trilogy is considered to be the best superhero cinema has to offer. The movie is the third part of the Batman trilogy and it brings Nolan’s Batman to a conclusion. Before going into how you can cosplay it, let’s see what goes down in the movie:
Background for the Batman the dark knight rise:
The movie begins with Bane, who is a terrorist as well as a member of League-of-shadows. Batman isn’t on the scene anymore since it has been eight years after the Harvey Dent died. There’s no organized crime now due to the Dent law that gives more powers directly up to the force.
Gordon is keeping all of Dent’s activities as the Two-Face a secret. He even allows the blame for it all to fall on the Dark Knights shoulders. Bruce has become a recluse and his company is actively losing money now that he has discontinued his whole fusion reactor plan.
The return of Batman
Bane operates from the sewers and wants Wayne’s fingerprints. Catwoman Selina Kyle steps in to get the job done. But she gets double-crossed when it’s time to get the exchange so she calls the police. Police do arrive, but in the course of events, Gordon gets captured and taken to Bane. Gordon does manage to escape and is helped by John Blake. He is a rookie officer who was able to deduce Bruce’s identity. He convinces him to come back as Batman.
Bane vs. Batman
Bane uses the fingerprints to attack Gotham’s Stock Exchange and withdraws amounts that leave Bruce bankrupt. Eventually, Bruce does resurface as Batman and fights bane. He loses the first fight and is taken by bane to an underground prison. Meanwhile, Bane wreaks havoc by destroying the connecting bridges to the city, reading Gordon’s speech about Two-Face, converting the fusion-reactor core right into a neutron bomb, releases Blackgate Penitentiary prisoners who cause up whole scale anarchy in the city and more.
Bruce does escape that prison eventually and goes back to Gotham. He frees up the police who clash with Bane’s army. Batman eventually stops the bomb by taking it to the bay in his aerial craft. At the bay, it explodes safely and batman saves the city. Bane is defeated, but batman is presumed dead. But in the end, he is seen living his life with Kyle.
How to cosplay the Batman suit in the Dark Knight rises movie?
Here are all the things you need to do to look like the most iconic Batman till now:
- Masks: It’s just honestly better if you buy this piece. The mask will take a long time and it’s very difficult to make accurately.
- Chest piece: The chest piece is difficult to make as one can imagine. You will need to first chalk out the design. Then use foam sheets as the base for the chest piece and use aluminum sheets on top it to make it be and appear strong. Use pop rivets and glue to tie the whole thing together before colouring it black. Getting the abs and pectoral muscles will be difficult, so you can simply put bunched up newspapers between the foam sheet and the aluminum sheets to get volume.
- Gauntlets: To make the gauntlet you can use aluminum sheets and leather. First, cut out the design of the gauntlet on the aluminum sheet as well as the leather. Make sure that the leather has long stripes from three places so that you can place velcro to tie it on your arm. Check online images of the suit to get an idea of the design.
- Shoulder pads: You will have to first cut out the bowl shapes for the shoulder pads. For this use deep plastic to get the basic design. Then to get that extended arm piece going from the shoulders, use foam sheet and black paper or leather. Cut out the design from the foam sheet before sticking the black paper or leather on it.
- Pants: First of all you will need a black bodysuit underneath all these pieces and armor. To make the pant design check out online pictures and then cut out the design on foam sheets before using hot glue to glue it on your pant legs. Of course, cover the foam sheets using black leather or strong paper.
- Cape: For cape use a black strong and heavy sheet so that you get that weight on your shoulders. To give it the cape effect first bunch up the part of the cape that you want to attach on the shoulders and then use glue and rubber bands to attach it to the suit shoulders.
- Costume: You can find the full set of Batman the dark knight rise cosplay costume at simcosplay.
So now you are all ready to go out to cons as Batman. If you find this process foreboding and time-consuming then simply buy the suit from an online cosplay store. Then go ahead and have fun being the Dark Knight.